Saturday, October 16, 2010

Deer Ones......

I love Venison!  I was raised on this low fat wild game meat. Each year I look forward to the Deer Hunting Season in hopes that I will be able to have some of this delicacy at a meal or two over the winter months. 

I know, I know some of you out there think that all deers are Bambi. I don't mean to step on your toes, but it is what it is.....Wonderful Delicious Tasty Venison.

Today my 15 yo son and his father (my ex) went out before daylight this morning to the deer woods to try and bring home a prize deer. (That would be a Buck with lots of horns, so they can have bragging rights with all their buddies.) This was the first year that Kendall, my son, would be "hunting" by himself. Sitting up his own spot and being on his own to watch for, listen to, and read the signs of the deer in the peaceful woods.

Well, he surprised all of us. Not only did he get a Doe, but he also got a 5 point Buck. He said, "I even had to shot them left handed, because they were on the opposite side of the tree and he couldn't get  turned enough to use his dominate hand. I did not want to scare them away by moving."
Kendall, the Buck (L) and the Doe (R).
He was so excited. He called me to tell me about them. I initially did not believe him, because he sometimes jokes with me. But he said, "Honest Mom. I got two so you better get your supplies together we will be packaging meat later, as soon as we turn the tags in." That is when I got excited. He was bringing both of them to my house for our freezer.  Woo Hooo!!! Venison and lots of it.

We will be able have deer steaks, deer roast, deer burgers, deer chili, deer ?.....and this should last us nearly all winter. Thank you Lord for providing once again the needs and desires of our hearts!

Now to just get it all cleaned, cut up, ground up, packaged, labeled and put into the freezer. 

Oh, Kendall has talked about this all day long.....He is on cloud nine, ten, and eleven.


1 comment:

Lora @ my blessed life said...

What a blessing! I enjoy deer meat myself, but my hubby isn't fond of it.

Love your new *look*! It's nice to have you back in blogland:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...