Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Peach Butter with a Twist

 For the past several years, I have given away half-pint jars of jams, jellies, preserves or butters to family and friends for Christmas gifts or stocking stuffer's (we do stockings @ my parents w/my siblings and their families that's 14 stockings to help fill each year).

Some people prefer "Butters" to the extra sweetness of jams and jellies. I try to make a variety: Apple butter, Banana Butter, Plum Butter, etc. I had given away my last Peach Butter the other day to my Ex (yes, we do get along for the most part-which is wonderful).

So when we were gifted with about 20 pounds of peaches this last week, I needed to make more peach butter. You can find a basic recipe for Peach butter here, but I always tweak my recipes some. I usually never make anything exactly the same way twice. I get close, but not exact since most of the time I am just making up the recipes as I go.

Now I can hear some of you saying, but this is "canning" we are talking about...we are suppose to follow the recipes to the letter... Yes, for most things you need to. I agree. But when it comes to the butters, jams, jellies, and preserves there is usually so much sugar (which is a preservative) it is really hard to go wrong on those. I have never had any problem with any spoilage, but that is me. You can use this recipe (which is mine) but keep in mind it is not a USDA approved recipe and you will be using it at your own risk. I take on no liability for the outcome. Except to say that mine turned out wonderful and delicious.

Peach Butter with a Twist

20 peaches, peeled, pitted, then grind or mash (I used a food processor to grind up)
3 cups sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 to 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 cinnamon stick

Combine all ingredients into a large heavy bottomed saucepan. Bring to a boil on medium-heat, stirring often. (This mixture is a heavy mixture and will splatter when it boils, unless constant stirring is done. So, be prepared for a mess if you aren't stirring.) Continue to boil for 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours until thickened. A spoonful placed onto a chilled saucer should remain smooth with no watery sign. Remove the cinnamon stick.

Fill hot sterile jars to within 1/3 inch head-space. Process in a BWB for 10 minutes for pints. This recipe yielded  10 half-pint jars.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...