Thursday, December 2, 2010

Home Canned Peach Pie Filling


Again, another blessing gifted to us this past week....PEACHES. I hate wasting anything. I had to preserve this delicious fruit (before going bad), so that we could enjoy it when snow has blanketed the yard and we are dreaming of summer. 

Here is the recipe I used...sorry, I don't know who to give credit to for it as I have had it for a long time. 

PEACH PIE FILLING

1/2 cup quick cooking tapioca (this is the thickener)
3/4 cup sugar
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg (optional)
6 Tablespoons lemon juice
5 pounds peaches, peeled and sliced
2 cups sugar

Combine tapioca, 3/4 cup sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. Set aside.  Place peaches in a large pot with 2 cups sugar and just enough water in bottom of pan to prevent sticking. Heat to 190F/90C (just under boiling...use candy thermometer); stirring frequently. Add tapioca mixture and, stirring, reheat to 190F/90C, but do not boil. Fill hot sterile jars with mixture, leaving 1 inch head space. adjust lids and process in BWB 15 minutes for quarts. I got 4 to 5 quarts per batch.

Enjoy!

Serina

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...