Sunday, December 19, 2010

A Husbands Twinkling Eye...Over Key LIme Pie

After making all the Christmas candy yesterday, I had a lot of reserved egg yolks leftover since the Divinity only requires the egg whites. What was I to do with them? I don't like to waste anything, thus I need to use them up some how.

As I stood in front of the opened refrigerator door this morning contemplating how to use them, what to my wondering eye should appear?  A jar of Limes that were left over in the fridge from when I home-canned a batch up a week or so ago. Limes and egg yolks, hummmmmm.....Key Lime Pie.  One of My Knights favorite desserts (as if we need more sweet things this time of year). Oh well, he will be excited and seeing that twinkle in his eye when he sees what I made will be all worth.

I quickly whipped together a Key Lime Pie this morning, before the whole house woke up and got moving about. Don't you just love the early mornings when no one is stirring about? The house is quite and still at rest. It is so peaceful. That is the time of day that I really enjoy. I know that everyone is still tucked snug in bed and are safe. None of the electronic devices have yet started to consume our day i.e., cell phones, computers, video games, TV, etc. Life is simple and relaxed at that time of day.

Back to my pie....

This pie is so quick and easy. I thought I would share it with you all here.

Just out of the oven, still steaming hot.
Key Lime Pie Made Simple

5 egg yolks
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk or homemade sweetened condensed milk (I share how in another post)
1/2 cup key lime juice or any lime juice you have
1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust (Except I used a standard pie dough)
I think I told you before that I never make a recipe just like it says. Here's the proof. ;-)

Preheat the oven to 375. Combine the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and lime juice. Mix well. Pour into the unbaked graham cracker shell or unbaked pie dough shell. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes until filling is set. Allow to cool. Top with whipped topping and garnish with a slice of lime if desired. Yum, Yum.....Enjoy.

I do hope you enjoy your day.

P.S. As I was typing this up my Knight came into the kitchen and asked, "What are you making, Dear?" I replied, "A Key Lime Pie."   He asked excitedly, "You made ME a Key Lime Pie?"  "Yes, Honey I did." was my answer. You should have seen that "twinkle in his eyes"".  He asked if we had whipped cream, if so could he have some now....No, Honey, you must wait until it cools before you can eat it.

See I told you it would be worth it.....

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...