Friday, November 5, 2010

Homemade Ham Chowder

Our Cell Group Bible Study was at our home this past week. We always have a meal and fellowship before we do our study and prayer time. So, for the main dish I made a Homemade Ham & Cheese Chowder. The group "licked" the pot clean...

They ate it ALL GONE!
So, I thought I would my recipe here. Now, I very rarely ever use a written recipe. I am one of those cook's that just use what I have, taste and add until I get something I like.  There have been many a times that my family or friends have really enjoyed something and asked me to make it again...I always tell them I will try, but I didn't write anything down so it might be just a little different that the last....Well, this time I made myself write it down because everyone kept complimenting it...so, here it is

Serina's Homemade Ham Chowder

Serves 20

1 lb. bacon, diced
2 large onions, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped fine
1 red bell pepper, chopped fine
6 tablespoons all-purposed flour
3 cups heavy cream (can use milk, I just didn't have any on hand)
3 cups water
2 cups carrots, I used 1 quart home canned, drained and diced
2 cups potatoes, I used 1 quart home canned, drained
1 pint or can(15.25 oz) whole kernel corn, drained
Pepper to taste
3 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 (8 oz) pkg of cream cheese, softened
1 lb. thinly sliced fully cooked ham, cut into cubes

In large heavy bottom pot, cook the bacon until crisp. I used medium heat. Scoop out the bacon onto paper towels to drain. In the drippings, saute the celery, onion, and pepper until tender. (If you use fresh carrots, add them at this time). Stir in the flour until well blended. Then add the milk and water slowly. Bring mixture to a boil. Cook and stir for several minutes or until soup begins to thicken. (If too thick add a little more water. If too thin add a little more flour that has been mixed with a few teaspoons of water, this is so it won't lump up in the soup) Next, add the potatoes, carrots (if you didn't add the earlier) and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until everything is heated through and potatoes and carrots are tender. Add shredded cheese. Stir in until melted. Now add cream cheese a little at a time, stirring until all is melted and incorporated within the soup. Finally, add the ham and the bacon to the mixture. This serves approximately 20.

This is a very yummy and satisfying soup on a chilly night....



Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...